Top 10 Things I Love about Cumberland…. By Mayor Skinner
- Friendliness of the community and the support people give one another.
- Beaver Dam Lake- It's beauty and the water activities it offers.
- Recreational activities of the surrounding area, including hunting, fishing, skiing, golf, biking, and many others.
- Schools- Enrollment is small which allows individual attention and more participation in all extra activities.
- Beautiful campground, parks, beach, and municipal eighteen hole golf course.
- Quality Municipal airport
- Hospitals and clinics. A wide choice of highly trained professional staff.
- Police and Fire Department provide a safe atmosphere for individuals and families to live and work.
- The Thomas St Angelo library- Lovely facility with wide circulation and many programs available.
- Active business community involved in several annual events.
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Carol
- Friendly, caring residents.
- Natural beauty –clean lakes, green space, trees
- Recreational opportunities – golf, cross country ski, fishing, boating, walking
- I feel safe – good police, fire, ambulance
- Proximity to larger cities
- Community values – churches, food pantry, senior center
- Good Schools
- Health services – availability of hospital, clinic, dentist
- Local stores and restaurants
- Clean air, good water (utilities)
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Adam
- The quality of lakes.
- Friendly and safe place to raise a family(quality of life).
- Close by to many acres of public hunting and trails.
- Good school system.
- Good area restaurants.
- Good hospitals.
- Good public golf course.
- Numerous supportive businesses to the community.
- Many fun community events.
- Good public library.
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Sharon
- It was a great place to raise our 3 children.
- Our school system is small enough without being “too small”. They all had opportunities to participate in extra circular activities if they wanted, without having to try-out to see if they were good They received a good education and continued on with their schooling.
- We were able to enjoy the lake with fishing and waterskiing.
- We were able to participate and enjoy outdoor activities in the winter.
- Now that we are retired, and the children are on their own, we still find it a great place to live;
- Friendly business people, good food, LOVE ETC (Enrichment Thru Culture),
- Still enjoy the lake.
- We don’t have to travel far to purchase 90 percent of our goods.
- Also love the fact that we have concerned citizens that are trying to keep us from becoming a stagnant community by forming groups to brainstorm ways to achieve this.
- We have a terrific library.
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by CA
- Though we may fight amongst ourselves as individuals, we come together as a community when someone has a need.
- The Marching Band
- Schools and all the programs they support/offer in the community
- The abundance of wildlife
- The Hospital, Clinic, etc and the ease of access & quality of healthcare they provide
- The thriving arts scene
- The emphasis the community takes on its children
- The Municipal support services – Police, Fire, EMT, Utility, etc
- Location – if we don’t have something you need locally (which is rare), the ability to get where you need to go fairly quickly is a real bonus
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Barry
#1 - My list only has one thing but I feel it’s important enough to be listed as the top ten. That is; the overwhelming amount of support this community throws behind worthy causes and for the overall betterment of the community. I feel it’s unsurpassed by any other town our size in the greater area.
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Dan & Joy
- Small town flavor
- Beautiful seasons, fall winter spring & summer
- Friendly people
- Benefits from local farm foods available to us/farmers markets
- Fishing. Not having to travel very far too different lakes in this area for a variety of fishing.
- Hunting (deer and turkey) in the area
- Fresh air
- Rutabaga fest
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by DD
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Diane
- I was born and raised here
- went to some great schools here
- love small town living
- know so many people
- A very clean city
- Merchants keep their stores updated
- a friendly city
- ETC (Enrichment thru Culture)
- choice of churches
- beautiful lakes
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Dick
- Rutabaga Festival
- Fireworks at the 4th of July
- Great School System and teaching staff!
- Great tasting water from the faucet!
- Good access for Medical Treatment
- Small town living with easy access to larger cities.
- Friendly people
- Lots of fishing lakes nearby
- Beaver Dam Lake for recreating
- Surrounded by good hunting land
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Mike
- Friendliness of community residents
- Quality of life (low crime, healthy amenities and clean air/water)
- Community engagement and willingness to serve
- Business community desire to satisfy
- Quality education system
- Strong faith community
- Laid back lifestyle
- Free standing community - all necessary services available
- Wonderful outdoor recreational opportunities
- Responsive city service providers
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Pauli
- Infrastructure basics to live here (health care, schools, food suppliers, anchor businesses)
- Recreation: Golf, Trails, Lakes, Bars
- Shopping: Retail stores
- Dining: good mix of casual to higher end
- Proximity to larger cities and airports
- Clean lakes
- Small town feel
- Active people in the community
- A nice mix of locals and weekenders
- Vibrant Downtown
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Theresa
- The lake cleanliness and access.
- The business diversity that we have for our size all in a central downtown area.
- Tourist park.
- The campground.
- Louie's Finer Meats.
- The friendliness and helpfulness of Cumberland citizens - vibrant and active groups like Kiwanis.
- The entertainment options for a town of our size is good.
- LOVE the library.
- Pete and Annie's Market - general store concept is great.
- Tower house used to be on this list and may be there again if it opens and is good.
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Tia
- The welcoming nature of the people who live here
- How business-friendly the local government is
- The variety of things to do year round (Live music, Festivals, Fishing, Hiking, Boating, ATV, Snowmobiling, Antiquing, Food, Biking, Theatre, Art, Hunting, Farmer's Market, etc.)
- Clean air, water, lifestyle
- Beautiful scenery
- Proximity to major cities
- Proximity to state parks
- Who doesn't like cheese and cranberries!!!!
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Tom & Chris
- Beaver Dam Lake : main reason we came back to Cumberland to Retire
- Small town atmosphere; Fed up with traffic in St. Louis, Chicago, Orlando, Richmond, Where we lived for extended periods
- Friendly people - neighbors
- Weather; the true 4 seasons of the year
- Golf course at reasonable prices
- Rutabaga – what an event for a small town to hold
- Having the clinic and hospital in the city, don’t have to drive to RL or Eau Claire.
- Having Pete’s auto shop close by.
- Louie’s meat Market – not many cities can boast about having a world class meat market
- Nezzy’s - where everyone knows your name (Hah!!)
Top 10 Thing I Love about Cumberland… by Tom
- Beaver Dam Lake
- Golf Course
- Small town feel
- “Island” city
- School system
- athletic facilities
- utilities (new WWTP)
Ok – so Tom could only think of 7 when put on the spot